Monday, February 22, 2010

One Step At A Time


Funny how sometimes when I name these blogs, I have no idea what I'm going to say. Such is the case this evening. That's what ended up coming into my brain and out through my fingers on the keyboard. Let's see where this thing is going...


What is on my heart to tell you is that there are just days that require us to take one step at a time. Well, I guess I already sort of said that in the title, didn't I? But that's what this day has been for me. One step at a time. Little steps, actually. Just trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Never running too far ahead with my thoughts or stopping dead in my tracks. I know I have to keep taking steps. Sometimes, where my foot is going to land isn't even clear to me at all. That is when I have to totally trust that God has me - regardless of what I feel, think or see.


I heard it said once that, if we are not continually climbing the mountain, we will begin to lose ground. I'm not sure that I agree with that statement, though. Sometimes we need to stop and rest for a moment, enjoying the beauty that God has so graciously put in our world. Sometimes the small step is one that leads us to a little park bench on a hill overlooking a valley so vast and lush that it takes our breath away - giving us rest and peace for our souls. And occasionally, it's during that little break where we rest on our little park benches that eventually we are able once again to see the path before us with a little more clarity. That's always our hope, isn't it? To be able to see the way - even if it's just so that we can take one little step in front of us - trusting that we are moving in the right direction.


I've found that God likes to hide the path, though. Have you found the same thing to be true? Every once in a while, it's as though I've wandered into some forest that is so thick with all that jungly stuff that I can't see the trees that are right there beside me...and the path has totally been covered over with brush and weeds. And to top it all off, there's not a park bench anywhere in sight! All I can do in those moments is sink to my knees and sit quietly, waiting on God. Waiting for Him to light that one little step in front of me. Waiting for Him to do whatever it is that He is going to do in me, through me, for me, to me or with me. Before I even rise to take one more step, I must wait, for I am lost without Him.


There are other times, however, when I must move forward, trusting His word that promises me that He is with me always, as He said He would be - and that by trusting Him, He will 'make my paths straight' (Proverbs 3:5,6) When I am weary, He is where I find my rest. When I am lost, He reminds me that I am never lost to Him. He always knows exactly where I am - and He ALWAYS has a plan to get me where He wants me to go.


Many things line the path that I am walking right now. Music (that in itself is enough to keep me busy), a new book to work on (don't even ask where I am in that process), Heart Notes for Haiti (still hoping to find more places for concerts and gearing up for the one at Club D Mask Us in May)... There's more on the list - uh, path - but just those few things are enough to consider right now.


Robert Frost wrote a beautiful poem entitled 'Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening.' Seems rather appropriate for this blog, so I'll include it.


Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village, though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there's some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.


So, we've climbed to the top of a mountain, rested on a park bench overlooking a beautiful valley, wandered through a forest and stopped in the woods on a snowy evening. Been a very busy 'travel blog' tonight, hasn't it? :)


I pray that you will find the quiet moments that you need with God. I pray that you will always put your foot on the path with confidence, knowing that God has such a beautiful plan for you - knowing that it probably won't look the way you expected when you set out on your journey. We'll see more clearly when we get to the other side of the path, though, won't we? In the meantime, just continue to follow, trusting that He's holding and guiding you.


I love you, dear friends. Rest well this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment