Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Times Like These...



My fingers rested on the keyboard for awhile before I could find words with which to start this blog. Still, I am at a loss for ways to express my thoughts about what has happened to the millions of people in Haiti these last 24 hours. It's beyond comprehension for those of us who have never experienced the kinds of devastation and loss that impoverished country is experiencing this very moment. Times like these are beyond difficult to deal with or explain. I'm not even going to try, because I could never do justice to the magnitude of physical or emotional loss of those who have been impacted by the violent shaking that destroyed so many hopes, dreams and lives.


I think about the people who are still trapped - alive - hoping and praying to be rescued. What must they be going through? And then there are the loved ones who cannot reach anyone by phone - hoping and praying that their brothers, sisters, parents, children and friends survived the earthquake that rocked the nation so powerfully and unexpectedly not so very many hours ago. Their world has been turned upside down. And the grief that pours from that nation across the planet is almost palpable. As I said, beyond comprehension.


Like many of you, I also have friends in Haiti. A wonderful man by the name of Pierre lives there with his beautiful family. He is a minister we met about 10 years ago when we lived in Florida. Loves the Lord with all his heart and serves Him and the people of Haiti with full devotion. And then there are our Haitian friends here in the U.S. Our hearts go out to them, as I'm sure yours must, also. Glory hasn't heard anything about her family yet. I met her mother last year while she was here for a visit. I wonder what they all must be going through right now. I cannot imagine. Help, Lord God. Help them all.


So, what can we do? That's a question many are asking right now. Of course, we can and should do whatever the Lord leads us to do. You may be just one person, but you have something you can do. God knows what that is. Go ask Him...He will surely tell you. He knows the best way for you to use the resources that He's entrusted to you. I'm going to call Hubner and Joseph - two of my Haitian friends who live here in the Kansas City area. I have a plan...


The one thing I can do is sing. I, like many others, don't have money - but there are folks who do. As quickly as we can find a facility and organize a concert, I want to do a benefit to help the Haitian community. I can't do this alone, either. I'm also looking for volunteers to help with this project. If you want to help, then get in touch with me through this blog. We'll find a way for you to be involved. People from all over the world are reaching out to help. If you want to be part of it through this ministry, come on board. Let's see what God will do!


Please don't think you can't be part of this or that what you would have to offer may not be big enough. Remember the verse in the Bible where Jesus said, 'And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.' That's from Matthew 10:24. No matter how large or small, your gift is important.


I almost forgot - for those of you who may want to help financially, we have a non-profit organization called Freedom in Jesus Christ Charitable Trust, so your contributions to this ministry to help the Haitian community will be tax deductible.


God bless you. I encourage all of my musician friends to consider hosting a benefit concert to help, too. If you would like to be part of what I'm planning, then get in touch with me. Whatever you choose to do, let the Lord direct you in how to use the funds you receive to bless the Haitian community.


Until next time, much love to all!


Vicky

2 comments:

  1. I would love to work with you on this project!
    Let me know what I can do.

    God bless you as you serve Him!

    Craig Kruse
    CraigKruseMusic@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you need and however I can help - just let me know.

    ReplyDelete