Saturday, November 7, 2009

Two Sparrows 30 & 3 Devo Day 16


Day Seventeen

Luke 12:5-7

“But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”

Welcome to another new day, friend. After yesterday’s reading, I hope you were strengthened in your resolve to speak life to and about others. Today’s reading just reminds me how loving God is. Jesus was warning the people in verse 1 of this chapter to beware of hypocrites, encouraging us to know that everything we speak will be revealed in some way. He counsels us to be afraid – not of people or the enemy – but of God, Who has the power to send people to hell. However, isn’t it just like the Lord to then encourage us to know that God loves us so much; He has even numbered the hairs on our heads? Sometimes the ways He rebukes us for our sins is so gentle, we have to stop and think about it. He wants us to know how valuable we are to Him because He knows that the enemy lies to us all of the time, telling us that God doesn’t care, when in fact we are priceless in God’s eyes. The Lord doesn’t want us to be deceived, however, thinking we can just get away with anything! Remember what it says in James? Faith without works is dead. No, He wants us to know that we are valuable, but He also wants us to know that He is holy and He wants us to learn to walk in holiness, too. That means the gossip, the slander, the death that we speak against others has to stop. If this isn’t a problem for you, then praise God! Perhaps you know someone who needs your prayers in this area. Love them, pray for them and be sure to watch the words of your own mouth. Just decide to glorify God with every word that passes through your lips and see what an exciting life you will have!

Dear Lord, thank You for every word You spoke through Your Son, Jesus. Sometimes we forget how dependable Your words are. It is so easy to fall into the mindset that You will just let us get by with things because You are so loving. Father, Your word also says that You are holy, and we need to be holy, too. While You go about the task of perfecting me through the sacrifice of Your Son, Jesus, I ask You to show me the part that is mine to do in cleaning up my life. Show me the things that offend You, God and forgive me for those sins. Thank You for Your grace in my life, Lord. Please strengthen me to walk behind You with greater dignity and determination as I get rid of the things that need to be eliminated from my life. I love You, Lord. Thank You for being my Father. In Jesus’ Name…

No comments:

Post a Comment