Thursday, November 12, 2009

Servanthood 30 & 3 Devo Day 21

Day Twenty-One

Mark 10:42-44

“But Jesus called them to Himself and said to them, ‘You know that those who are considered rulers over the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. Yet it shall not be so among you; but whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant. And whoever of you desires to be first shall be slave of all.”

Welcome to today, sunshine! This is a terrific day to be alive on the earth. There will be fantastic opportunities in front of you today. You are going to have many chances to bless the lives of people around you by being their servant. Hmmm… How does that sound? I think it sounds wonderful. After all, the greatest servant who ever lived on earth was our Lord, Jesus Christ. If He decided that the best role He could have was to be a servant to those around Him – and He continues to be a servant to each of us today – then you couldn’t have a better role to play in today’s activities. Besides, there’s great joy that comes when we give ourselves in servanthood to others. Think about a time you helped someone without expecting anything in return. Didn’t it make you feel good to see how they were blessed by your giving? Well, nothing’s changed! Go see whom you can bless today. Whether it’s something big or something small, every gift you offer the Lord by serving others is a precious gift to Jesus. Thank you for being a humble, giving child of God. By the way, He said that those who are great are ‘slaves’ or ‘servants’ to all. Bet you didn’t know – you have ‘greatness’ in you!

Precious Lord, thank You for showing me how important it is to You that I serve others, even as Your Son showed us by His example. There was never a greater servant than You, Lord Jesus. Thank You for helping me see it from Your perspective. I pray for those I am called to serve, Lord. Help me be sensitive to the direction of Your Spirit as I make myself available to meet their needs. Increase the compassion in my heart, Father. I want to walk humbly before You, always aware that everything I do for You is just my ‘reasonable service’ and not something about which to brag. You are the Good One, Father. Jesus told us that only You are good. Help me remember that I’ve been blessed to be a blessing in the lives of others. Every good gift comes from You, Lord. Whatever gift You choose to place in my hands for others needs to remain pure as I pass it on. Thank You for using me, Lord. I love You. In Jesus’ Name…

No comments:

Post a Comment