Saturday, October 31, 2009

Birthdays and giving 30 & 3 Vol. 2 Devo Day 9



Welcome to Saturday morning! This has been a wonderful week. We celebrated my mother's 75th birthday last night with a surprise party. And today looks fabulous. Even though it's chilly outside, the sun is shining and - above all else - God is seated on His throne, blessing, loving and teaching His children. I love how He faithfully continues to pour out His love in my life and the lives of my loved ones. He pours out faithfully into the lives of all of His children. Isn't it good to know that He doesn't base His love on our performance? Rather, it is freely given to us, regardless of anything we do. I know that He wants everyone to be obedient to His commands, so my prayer today for all of us is that we will choose to surrender ourselves to the leadership of the One who created us, cares for us and draws us to Himself. Have a glorious day, dear friends. Now, here's the devo for today...
Day Ten

Proverbs 3:27-29

“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so. Do not say to your neighbor, ‘Go, and come back, and tomorrow I will give it,’ when you have it with you. Do not devise evil against your neighbor, for he dwells by you for safety’s sake.”

What a beautiful day this is! Good morning again, dear friend. I hope you are enjoying this time with the Lord each morning as we share together the words in this little devotional. You know, we have been so blessed in so many ways and we should reflect on that more often. When our hearts are filled with gratitude for what God has done and continues to do in our lives, we have a greater tendency to open our hearts and hands to those who have less than we do. For example, if you have an abundance of food in your kitchen and someone else is hungry, doesn’t it make sense that you should be willing to feed them? We never know all of the details of someone else’s situation, even if we know a little about what has caused them to be in need. What we do know, though, is that God has seen fit to make it possible for us to have that abundance and He is watching to see how we will respond to those in need. Since you and I are not called to judge others – but only to love God first and others as we love ourselves – doesn’t it take a great deal of pressure off of you to know that you can freely give, because you have been given to freely by God? Ask God to search your heart and to reveal to you the ways you need to adjust your thinking. We all have areas that need to grow up in the Lord and He loves it when we search His heart for understanding and growth. Two dear friends of mine said something to me years ago when I was worrying about some insignificant thing and it helped me change my whole perspective. I occasionally have to say it to myself when I am feeling “stuck” about something. What they said was “Be free, sister…be free!” That really blessed me. Jesus came to set us free. We are here, in part, to bless the lives of others, but we can’t do it if we are busy trying to decide whether or not they are worth blessing! So go ahead, sister (or brother) in Jesus. Open up your heart to God, release your judgment or criticism of others, see their need and just “be free”!

Dearest Lord, how freely You have given to me. Your hand has been open for me all the days of my life. I have air to breathe and I am breathing. I have a place to lay my head at night. I have people around me on this planet that love me. I have food in my belly and water to quench my thirst. Most importantly, I have You, Lord. Help me open my hands and freely give today. Use me however You will, God. I love You, Lord. In Jesus’ Name…

No comments:

Post a Comment