Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Thorns - 30 & 3 Devo Vol.2 Day 5


This has been a very good day. I decided to post the devotional for Monday (tomorrow) a few hours early. Just trying to get a bit of a head start on the week, I suppose. :)


We had a great time at church this morning. Our friends at Silvercrest are a pleasure to be with every time we go and the Lord always blesses us with His beautiful Spirit in the services. We also enjoyed our time with the folks at Village Shalom. It's so much fun to get to sing the old big band songs. I may be living in this era, but I think I love to sing the songs from that era the most - outside of what I sing for the Lord, of course!


Thanks for taking the time to read these blogs. It's always my prayer that what you read here will somehow brighten your day, put a smile on your face and draw you ever closer to Jesus in some way.


Blessings, Shalom, Love and Joy!


Now for the devo...


Day Five

Matthew 5:43-45

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

Good morning dear friend! So who is the person in your life that you consider your enemy? You know what I mean – the person that just gets under your skin, in a sort of itchy and irritating way? The one person that is like a thorn in your side – always belittling you or your efforts, talking about you behind your back and making fun of your very existence? Probably the last thing you really want to do is bless that little thorn. After all, you’re really trying to serve the Lord, aren’t you? Why, that person may not even be a Christian, and you’ve already gone the extra mile to be “good”, haven’t you? Well, take heart, dear one. People did it to Jesus, and they’re going to do it to you. But there is something we can all do to help us love those “thorns” a little better. We can remember that we are just as responsible as anyone else for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. We can remember that the sin in our own lives made it necessary for Jesus to hang on that cross and take the whippings for us, too. We can remember that Jesus asked God to forgive them because they didn’t know what they were doing – any more than we knew what we were doing in our own sins before we really understood Who He is. Even with all of that, He loved us still. Kind of makes it easier to swallow the part about loving, blessing and praying for those little thorns, doesn’t it? Well, hallelujah! Rejoice! You get to be an instrument in God’s hands today, shining in their lives, even if they try to pour rain in yours!

Sweet Father, I’m so sorry for my part in Your Son’s death. I’m grateful that You saw me as a rose instead of the sharp little thorn I was before I really understood how precious You are. Thank You for the Sonshine of Jesus, and the rain of Your Holy Spirit. Thank You for watering me with Your blessings, even when I was still a sinner. Thank You for teaching me the importance of loving others by reminding me of Your faithful and constant love for me. Glorify Yourself as You use me everyday. Draw me closer to You, Father. In Jesus’ Name…

No comments:

Post a Comment